About us

About the Department

Uni Research is part of the research group NORCE from 1 January 2018.

NORCE consists of the research institutes Uni Research AS, Christian Michelsen Research AS, International Research Institute of Stavanger AS, Agderforskning AS and Teknova AS.  

Uni Research is a broadly based, multidisciplinary research institute with 440 highly-qualified employees from 34 different nations. Uni Research carries out research and development in the fields of biotechnology, health, environment, climate, energy and social sciences.

The Institute comprises six thematic departments and one subsidiary, Uni Research Polytec.

NORCE has its headquarters in Bergen and activities in each of the regions. The group boasts a total of  approx. 900 employees and an annual turnover of over NOK 1 billion.

NORCE has major academic environments within health, technology, energy, social science, the environment and climate, and will make Southern and Western Norway a leader in research, innovation and value creation.

NORCE is owned by the University of Bergen, Stiftelsen Universitetsforskning Bergen, Stavanger Research Holding AS and Agder Research Holding AS.


Uni Research's history started with the foundation Universitetsforskning Bergen in 1986. In 2003 the academic activity was spun off into a limited company called UNIFOB Ltd. In 2009 the name of the company was changed to Uni Research Ltd. 

Before 1 January 2018, The University of Bergen was the main shareholder with 85 percent of the shares, while the foundation Universitetsforskning Bergen owned the remaining 15 percent. The company's purpose is non-profit; the shareholders are not allowed to withdraw surplus.

The subsidiary Uni Research Polytec Ltd was established in 2015. Uni Research Ltd owns 51% and The Foundation Polytec owns 49% of the shares.  

Uni Research has most of the employees located in Bergen, Uni Research Polytec has its main operation in Haugesund.

Key Figures

:: 440 employees   :: 600 research projects

:: 75% of the scientists have PhD degrees :: 34 nations

Sources of Income

:: 400 MNOK in turnover   

:: The Research Council 28%   :: Public Sector 39%   :: Private Sector 20%  

:: Internasjonal 6%   :: Basic Funding 6%

Key figures includes Uni Research Polytec

Organization and Management

Uni Research comprises six departments and the subsidiary Uni Research Polytec

Managing Director is responsible for the daily operations, and each department is headed by a Research Director.

Uni Research’s Board

The board of Uni Research Ltd consists of three members.

  • Hans Olav Lindal (Chairman)

  • Elisabeth Maråk Støle

  • Aud Irene S. Fjæreide 

Available Jobs

Interested in joining us? 

See available jobs

Annual Reports

Read our annual reports

Logo and templates

You can download logo and templates in Uni Researchs' guide for visual identity.

Privacy statement

The privacy statement describes how Uni Research AS collects and uses personal information.

Management Uni Research

All people

Staff Main Office

All people

Collaboration Arenas

Uni Research participates at several research centres:

The Bjerknes Centre The Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research is the largest climate research centre in the Nordic countries and among the leading centres in Europe.

Centre for Research-based Innovation

CtrlAQUA The centre will develop technological and biological innovations to make closed-containment aquaculture systems (CCS) a reliable and economically viable technology within aquaculture.

cp: 2019-12-04 11:17:09